I’ve experience an abundance of God’s amazing grace in my life. I’m truly blessed. But blessings don’t come without hardship and challenges. It is through these avenues that God stretches us and enables us to grow. This growth is the vessel from which all blessings flow.
Prior to becoming disabled, I was a professional athlete. My career, earning potential, and life as I’d known it were over in the blink of an eye when a tractor-trailer rear-ended the car I was driving and left me with multiple, permanent injuries. Sometime later, I would lose my entire family and home in a horrible set of circumstances and endure 4 1/2 years of homelessness.
I had two choices. I could either wallow in self-pity, or I could focus on each challenge before me and pray for help to get through them. I did both. I wallowed for a while, but then made the choice to ask my heavenly Father for his grace, strength and wisdom to overcome my challenges. Throughout my journey, I asked him to show me which direction to take and how I could best honor Him through my new, highly …. uh, blessed life. (I was still living the “fake it till ya make it” athlete mantra at the time.
Wow, did He astound me! He gave me the ability relearn to read, write, walk and talk all over again. God’s amazing grace! He gave me a new family and the child I’d yearned for, yet was told would be impossible. Yet more of God’s amazing grace! He restored my life and he gave me a great hope and a future (Jer. 29:11 my life verse). Hallelujah, God’s sweet, amazing grace!
How to experience God’s amazing grace
Was it easy? Oh, heavens no! It was excruciatingly difficult; but I didn’t have to do it alone. He was with me every step of the way; guiding me, comforting me and loving me.
So how do you experience God’s amazing grace in life’s more difficult times? I’ve listed the five steps I took to do just that below:
- Keep focus on God, not on your problems. If you only focus on what is wrong, you’ll never have the mindset to see what’s right. Keeping your sights on God enables you to receive His comfort, guidance and support.
- Fake it till ya make it! This mantra is very common through the athletic world. Basically, you program your brain to keep positive by seeing things as you want them to be; even if you’re not quite there yet.
- Focus on only one challenge at a time. Now, I know life isn’t always so cut and dry as to sprinkle us with only one challenge at a time. Often is the case where we are barraged by challenges and can barely keep our heads above water for the overwhelm of it all. This is where God does His best work! You never know how strong you can be until being strong is your only option! Take stock of each challenge and break it down, systematically working the problem and continue moving forward to the next one. Before you know it, you’ll have a handle on it all again!
- Take comfort and strength in other’s support. We are created to fellowship with one another, sharing one another’s burdens when they become too much to bear. Reach out for help.
- Pray. Morning, noon and night. Pray when it’s hardest. Pray when you see the light at the end of the tunnel; and pray when you are on the mountaintop again… for God’s amazing grace has, and always will follow you through your entire life.